Creating and Updating Roles in CRM
Admins can configure Align to manage the role hierarchy in CRM. In CRM, users are organized into hierarchies based on their assigned role, which automatically grant managers visibility to the data used by their team members. In Align, this hierarchy is typically determined by the hierarchy of the territory that roster members are assigned to. By enabling Align to manage the role hierarchy in CRM to mirror the territory hierarchy, the user hierarchy is consistent across both platforms.
Configuring Role Management
To enable this feature:
- Ensure User Management is enabled.
- Navigate to the Align Integrations page in the Integrations tab.
- Select Edit in the Gear menu for the appropriate CRM org.
- Navigate to the CRM Integration Options section.
Select Manage CRM Users and Role Hierarchy for the Manage CRM Users picklist.
- Select Save.
Managing Roles in CRM
When Role Management is enabled, Align automatically creates and updates UserRole records in CRM based on the structure of the territory hierarchy in Align. Created UserRole records have the following field values:
- Name – The first 80 characters of the name__v field of the corresponding Territory in Align
DeveloperName – Designates the UserRole as being created by Align, as well as references the Master_Align_Id_vod field on the Territory or Territory2 record associated with the UserRole. Uses the following format:
ALN_[The Master_Align_Id_vod of the territory with all dashes (-) replaced with underscores (_)]
- ParentRoleId – ID of Parent UserRole record, if there is one
UserRoles are created and updated by Align during pushes to CRM in the following scenarios:
- The name of a territory__aln record linked to a CRM role via a roster member is updated – The name of the UserRole in CRM is also updated
- The Name or ParentTerritoryId fields of a Territory or Territory2 record in CRM are updated by Align – The Name or ParentTerritoryId fields of the corresponding UserRole record is also updated
- A new territory__aln record is created – The following changes occur in CRM:
- A corresponding Territory or Territory2 record is created in CRM
- A new UserRole is created with a name referencing the name of the territory__aln record in Align and a DeveloperName referencing the newly created Territory or Territory2 record
- If the territory__aln record is assigned to an active roster member in Align, the role of the corresponding User record updates to the newly created UserRole
Align does not delete managed UserRoles.
UserRole records not created via Align are unaffected by this feature. UserRoles created by Align have a DeveloperName field prefixed with ALN.
Overriding a Roster Member’s Role
The crm_role__aln field on the roster_member__aln object can be used to override a roster member’s automatically assigned role. This field is normally blank and should only be manually populated by the admin in the following scenarios:
- The roster member has multiple active territory assignments. In this case, select one active territory and enter the external ID of that territory as the value of the crm_role__aln field.
- The roster member's role should not mirror their territory hierarchy. In this case, the crm_role__aln field should match the value of the DeveloperName of an existing role in CRM.